Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions.
The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices.
HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures — ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
HCSC is dedicated to contributing to the well-being of the communities in which our employees and members live, work and play. We continue our longstanding tradition of community support through charitable investments with community partners, volunteerism, civic engagement, event sponsorship, employee giving, donation drives and in-kind donations.
Measures of Success
As the largest non-investor-owned health insurer in the country, HCSC views health care financing, access and delivery with a long-term perspective that promotes the entire health care system, not just the company's position.
Among the keys to HCSC's success is the collaborative approach the company employs to develop health care solutions with physicians, hospitals, employers, the government and community-based health organizations.
HCSC measures its success in four primary ways:
- Financial strength: HCSC recognizes that its members depend on the company to provide health-related financial security and protection from overwhelming health care costs.
- Membership: By maintaining strong levels of health plan membership, HCSC is not only able to provide access to more affordable, quality health care, but also is able to spread risk and medical expenditures across a large enough population to help offset rising health care costs for its members.
- Administrative costs: Although administrative costs only account for about 10 cents of a health care premium dollar, HCSC recognizes that as the company can reduce those costs, it can help slow the rate of premium price increases.
- Member loyalty: HCSC's member loyalty in comparison to other health insurers' member loyalty shows how well the company is performing versus its peers in the eyes of the customer.
Why We Maintain a Strong Local Presence
- Local health care delivery has provided HCSC a competitive advantage since its beginning
- It's important to stay close to customers to meet their needs, and we've done so by maintaining a large employee presence in each of our states
- We believe in sharing responsibility for the well-being of the communities where we do business
- Corporate Contributions Program
- Care Van® mobile immunization programs in each of our states
- Extensive company and employee support of community and charitable organizations
A Purpose-Driven Organization
For more than 80 years, HCSC has been there for our members — sometimes during the worst times in their lives. We are there as an ally, to provide security and peace of mind. We are able to do this because of our employees’ commitment and passion. It is who we are. Everything we do at HCSC is guided by a straightforward core purpose:
To do everything in our power to stand with our members in sickness and in health.
Supporting this core purpose are five essential values that drive our decisions each day:
Always do the right thing.
Everyone deserves it.
We keep our promises.
We put our heart into our work.
We drive extraordinary results.
Customer-Owned: How We Operate
As a customer-owned health insurer, we’re owned by our policyholders, not stockholders. This allows us to focus solely on customer needs and not worry about shareholder expectations.
Since we're not obliged to individual and institutional investors who seek a maximum return on their investments in our company, we are able to approach the critical issues affecting health care financing, access and delivery with a balanced, long-term perspective.