At HCSC, we're committed to the communities where our members and employees live, work, and play. As a recipient of The Civic 50, an annual award recognizing the 50 most community-minded companies in the nation, we invest heavily on a local level through investments with community partners, volunteerism, civic engagement, event sponsorship, employee giving, donation drives and in-kind donations.
It's not just about the difference you can make through your individual contributions at HCSC — as vital as that is. It's about our collective strength to grow wellness in dynamic ways in the markets we serve.
Each year, HCSC provides:
- More than 100,000 free immunizations and other health services to children and adults in medically underserved areas through our Care Van® programs.
- More than 100,000 volunteer hours to hundreds of nonprofit community partners through our Blue CorpsSM employee volunteer program. For every hour that an employee spends volunteering with a community partner, we contribute $20 to the designated organization, up to a total annual contribution of $2,000. On average the company donates $500,000 annually through the employee volunteer program.
- Millions of dollars in support for health and wellness services through the Healthy Kids, Healthy Families® initiative.
- More than $600,000 generously donated by employees through annual giving campaigns.
- Significant support of food sources through a collaboration with Feeding America to increase consumption of healthy foods among people who are food insecure.
- Support for children with asthma in partnership with the American Lung Association. Their "Enhancing Care for Children with Asthma Project" has improved care and reduced hospitalizations and emergency room visits for children with asthma by engaging staff at hundreds of community clinic locations to positively impact hundreds of thousands of asthma patients.
- Dedication to reducing our energy consumption and lowering our carbon footprint.
- Our headquarters buildings are ENERGY STAR®-certified, and we dim our lights at night to protect wildlife.
- 10% of our electricity comes from renewable sources. We recycle and reduce usage of paper; and we recycle or resell our electronic equipment.
- In our building cafeterias, we source fresh food free of artificial growth hormones and human antibiotics, buy from local family farms and sustainable sources, and use packaging from renewable sources and other waste reduction practices.
- We are drastically reducing the amount of food waste that travels to the landfill through composting food waste and donating recoverable food from the Chicago headquarters.
To learn more about HCSC's commitment to the community and how we’re putting our purpose into action, view our Making An Impact Annual Highlights.
From a comprehensive suite of financial and medical benefits to well-established professional development programs, HCSC is there for our employees-just as we are there for our members.Read More