The health, safety and well-being of our members, staff and the communities we serve is our top priority. We’re committed to helping you stay informed about COVID-19 and access the care and coverage you need.
We encourage you to save this page and check back often.
We are closely monitoring activity around the novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). We are committed to helping our members, staff and communities we serve stay informed and assisting those who might be affected. We stand ready to aid doctors, hospitals and federal, state and local public health organizations in serving our members and our communities.
What's Covered for Members
COVID-19 Testing, Testing-Related Visits and Treatment
Currently, if you're a member of an HCSC plan:
Testing: You won't pay copays, deductibles or coinsurance for medically necessary lab tests to diagnose COVID-19. Your doctor doesn’t have to ask us for the OK to test for COVID-19.
Testing-Related Visits: You won’t pay copays, deductibles or coinsurance with in-network providers for visits related to COVID-19, whether at a provider's office, urgent care clinic, emergency room or by telehealth. (Testing must be medically necessary, consistent with CDC guidance and at the direction of a doctor.)
Treatment: If you are insured by one of our plans, you won’t pay copays, deductibles or coinsurance related to treatment for COVID-19. This applies to costs associated with COVID-19 treatment at in-network facilities and treatment for out-of-network emergencies.
This includes these plans:
- Fully insured employer-based
- Individual and Family
- Medicare (excluding Part D)
- Medicare Supplement
This policy covers treatment from April 1 to May 31, 2020. We will reassess this policy as events warrant. (We will work in partnership with self-funded employer groups that decide to offer the same waivers.)
We have temporarily lifted restrictions on getting early prescription fills. (Note: These prescription fill rules may differ if you’re covered through your employer's self-funded plan.)
- You can contact your pharmacy directly to ask for an early fill. That fill will be for the same quantity as the last prescription you filled.
- Pharmacists have approval to provide an early fill on most medications.
- You can also use your 90-day supply benefits for covered non-specialty medications at select retail pharmacies or home delivery (mail order). Log into Prime Therapeutics or call the number on your member ID card.
Please note: This early fill information applies if you have pharmacy benefits administered by Prime Therapeutics. Also, all safety measures, prior authorization reviews, as well as prescribing and dispensing laws, still apply.
Currently, if you are insured by an HCSC plan, you can:
- Access provider visits for covered services through telemedicine or telehealth as outlined in your benefit plan.
- You won’t pay copays, deductibles, or coinsurance on in-network covered telemedicine or telehealth services.
These benefits give you access to care while reducing your risk of exposure to COVID-19 or other viruses. Services available for telemedicine or telehealth may differ based on your plan, please call the number on your member ID card if you have questions. (Note: These benefits may differ if you’re covered through your employer's self-funded plan.)
Depending on your benefits, you may have access to:
- In-network providers who offer the service through two-way, live interactive telephone and/or digital video consultations, or other methods allowed by applicable state laws and regulations.
- Bilingual 24/7 Nurseline. If you think you’ve been exposed to COVID-19, you can call the 24/7 Nurseline1. The 24/7 Nurseline can help you identify some options if you’re sick. Nurses are available at 1-800-581-0368, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Virtual Visits. You may also access your Virtual Visits benefit2 provided by your plan and powered by MDLIVE3. You can consult a board-certified doctor for non-emergency situations by phone, mobile app or online video 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Virtual Visits doctors can even send e-prescriptions to your local pharmacy.
Get the latest COVID-19 news and information from these trusted sources:
1 The 24/7 Bilingual Nurseline may not be available with all plans. Check your benefits booklet for details.
2 Virtual Visits or telehealth may not be available on all plans. Virtual Visits and telehealth are subject to the terms and conditions of your benefit plan, including benefits, limitations, and exclusions. Non-emergency medical service in Montana and New Mexico is limited to interactive online video. Non-emergency medical service in Arkansas and Idaho is limited to interactive online video for initial consultation. Other State law rules or limitations may also apply.
3 MDLIVE is a separate company that operates and administers Virtual Visits for Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico Oklahoma and Texas. MDLIVE is solely responsible for its operations and for those of its contracted providers. MDLIVE operates subject to state regulations and may not be available in certain states. MDLIVE is not an insurance product nor a prescription fulfillment warehouse. MDLIVE does not guarantee that a prescription will be written. MDLIVE does not prescribe DEA-controlled substances, non-therapeutic drugs and certain other drugs that may be harmful because of their potential for abuse. MDLIVE physicians reserve the right to deny care for potential misuse of services.